BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH FITNESS ROUTINE FOR ALL HIS FANS
Everyone’s favourite superstar Benedict Cumberbatch, aka “Sherlock”, has always put his fitness and diet before everything. Benedict Cumberbatch fitness routine has always been a tough one. Majorly for his role as ‘Doctor Strange’, Cumberbatch had to gain a lot of muscle, for which he strictly followed core strength exercises, excessive yoga, and cardio.
When an actor plays a superhero, he doesn’t just need to act with his expressions; his body language plays a major role. The contrasting characters of Sherlock Holmes and Marvel superheroes required two completely different kinds of body shapes; so, the actor had to put in a lot of effort and endure heavy training hours.
Benedict Cumberbatch fitness routine - cardio
All his cardio exercises were focused on muscle building. Cumberbatch started off with HIIT as the high-intensity workout is more efficient for fast results.
Here is a list of workouts the actor followed:
- Burpees: A set of 10 burpees is performed every minute for 10 minutes.
- Jumping jacks and squat jumps: 20 seconds of jacks are followed by a 10-second break which is again ended by 20 seconds of jacks or squats. This cycle is repeated 8 times for each exercise. You can do it with multiple exercises like squat jumps, jumping jacks, push-ups, and pull-ups.
- 1:1 intervals: Each set of this exercise lasts 15 minutes. There is a 1:1 ratio of intense and light intervals where you go on a fast pace (intense) for 30 seconds on a stair master, which is followed by a slow pace (light) interval for 3 seconds.
- Walking Lunges: Walking lunges were an important part of Benedict Cumberbatch fitness routine as they not only keep you fit but also improve your metabolism. Considering the heavy protein diets the actor was consuming, he needed workouts to keep his metabolism in perfect shape, too. The actor lunged for 400 metres after every workout at a fast pace to increase intensity and effectiveness.
- Sled drags and pushes: Sleds are a trainer’s first choice when it comes to gaining muscles. Cumberbatch dragged, pulled, as well as pushed different shapes of sleds to make the most out of this exercise. This is what he typically did:
- He pushed a weighted sled at a fast pace for 40 metres, followed by a rest period of one minute. This was repeated for 5 to 10 sets every day.
- He switched between pushing and pulling a comparatively lighter sled continuously for at least 10 minutes.
- Sprints: Sprinting builds fast-twitch muscle fibres, which are exactly what the actor needs. Each set consisted of sprinting for 100 to 200 metres and Cumberbatch did 5 sets every day. In addition to that, he also did incline sprinting, in which you go up a height and then come back down for 10 rounds in every workout session.
“No pain no gain” is probably true. The actor wouldn’t have done such a marvellous job in his roles if he didn’t go through all this effort and pain on a daily basis. Benedict Cumberbatch fitness routine is definitely an inspiration for all of us!
About the Author
Qurat-ul-Ain is a dedicated writer who likes to write anything and everything.